3 Reasons You Lack Confidence
1. You are on the wrong path or spinning in the comparison cycle
- You are comparing the beginning of your journey to the middle of someone else’s. Don’t do that!
- You are comparing your 2nd or 3rd greatest strength to someone else’s TOP strength. That’s not smart!
- You are trying to measure up in an arena of life that you don’t actually value at your core, but you continue exhausting yourself, trying to force the issue because society has lured you into it’s trap
(i.e. a kid who is not wired to be an athlete but because he feels his other passions are not recognized or valuable, he goes for sports. He feels pressure from parents/peers/coaches/society and he exhausts himself going to practices, private lessons, tournaments, etc. only to feel tiny amounts, if any, of incremental progress over long periods of time)
2. You forgot that confidence is something you generate overtime, by doing “the thing” over and over and over and over again
- Your expectations were unrealistic- you thought you’d be able to shoot 3’s like Steph Curry after 1 year of playing the game.
- You are lying to yourself about how long and hard and smart you’ve actually been working at it.
In the Youth Truth I write about my wake up call at my first college basketball practice. The skills and drills we were doing, and the level of intensity we were doing them at, was 10 levels higher than I was used to.
You must do the right things (what), the right way (how matters), consistently over-time (stick-to-it-ive-ness, have a plan) if you want to be confident.
One day on and four days off is a recipe for low performance, low confidence, and high frustration in any arena of life.
- You forgot to do Step’s 3 and 4 of the Improvement Cycle:
Test→ Fail→ Learn→ Improve→ Re-Enter.
This is what we teach in our mindset performance program.
After you’ve “failed” or fallen short of your expectations, don’t just jump right back in. You would be better off pausing to intentionally learn from it, and then figure out how to improve it, and then re-entering. Re-entering without learning and improving is just plain dumb.
3. You are So, So, SO FOCUSED on impressing others instead of fulfilling your deep-rooted need for progress
And I share that with you because I love you and we all do it.
Approval feels better in the moment.
Progress feels better long-term.
If you continue allowing this fear of being judged to hold you back from testing out your new skills so that you can ultimately improve and re-enter, you’ll never be confident. Never.
I don’t want that for you. You don’t want that for you. You don’t want that for your kids.
Study the 3 reasons you are lacking confidence and make a decision today:
💪I WILL STAY IN MY LANE, I WILL EMBRACE MY GIFTS THAT ALIGN WITH MY VALUES!
🙌I WILL FIND THE RIGHT THINGS TO DO, LEARN THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THEM, AND I WILL STICK TO IT UNTIL CONFIDENCE IS GENERATED!
👊I WILL BE COURAGEOUS AND MOVE FORWARD EVEN THOUGH I AM SCARED!
Dedicated to your confidence and success,
Coach Andrew Simpson
P.S. If you have been considering enhancing your confidence by joining PFP, we have our brand new schedule and programming launching on March 1! New location, fresh start, and a more confident and successful YOU. Just reply to this email or book a consult at www.pfpfit.com
P.S.S. If you have been looking for a solution to strengthen your mindset and generate confidence mentally, from the inside out, you will want to look into Clarity Sessions for adults, or Mindset Performance Training for youth.