Who you become in life is far more important than what you accomplish.
And in order to accomplish more, you must become more.
4 years ago we began helping student-athletes create their "3 Words" to describe their Future Desired Identity.
This exercise is incredibly valuable for any person, especially a young man or woman who wants to be successful.
Step 1: list out all the words that describe the kind of person you want to become
- more confident because you tend to hold back
- more enthusiastic and outgoing because you tend to be very introverted and keep to yourself
- more courageous because you tend to not take risks
- more of a leader because right now you tend to focus only on yourself and your problems
- more helpful because you really want to be of service to others
- more resilient because you tend to let small challenges or roadblocks stop you in your tracks
Step 2: narrow down the list to 3 words
Step 3: add an "I AM" to each
- I AM confident
- I AM a leader
- I AM resilient
Step 4: create a reminder or alarm on your phone for anywhere between 1-3 times a day (morning, mid day, evening)
The alarm should say the 3 "I AM" statements above. Read them aloud everyday for 30 days minimum.
Watch what you become.
Becoming the kind of person that others look up to and want to follow begins with being intentional.
It does NOT matter who you were yesterday or even the way you view yourself today. It only matters who you want to become and how hard you are willing to work to get there.
Now, go out and take action athlete. Your future self depends on it!
Dedicated to your success,
Coach Andrew and the PFP Team